St Chad's History
A Short History
The Parish of Boningale
Boningale is a small Parish in the diocese of Lichfield with an area of 1,003 acres. It formerly belonged to the De Bolynghales, a family of good, though not of Knightly rank. In the 12th century, the name of Henry de Bolynghale is found as its Lord. Hugh de Bolynghale was the owner from 1203 to 1228 and another Hugh from 1250 to 1275. In 1277, however, either this Hugh or his son, also Hugh de Bolynghale, gave all his lands to Lilleshall Abbey, whose monks retained an interest in the property till the Dissolution of Religious Houses in 1538. The advowson, however, being of small value, became attached to the Parish of Stockton, though entirely separated from it by two intervening parishes and some five miles away. In Pope Nicholas' taxation of 1291, Boningale is mentioned as a chapelry of Stockton and in Henry VIII's Valor Ecclesiasticus of 1534, the Chapel of Bonynghal in the Deanery of Newport is included in the return made by the Rector of Stockton.
Jonathan Wild, the notorious highwayman, who was executed at Tyburn on 24th May 1726, was said to be born at Boningale in 1682, possibly at Parkside or Church Farm in Church Lane. Lea Hall is said to have been garrisoned during the Civil War in order to guard the road between Shrewsbury and Birmingham. There are some fine half-timbered houses close to the church and the meadow between it and the highway is called the Lady's Close.
St Chad's Church
church, which is Grade II* listed, is dedicated to St Chad and is said to have
been founded in the 11th Century. In its shingled spire are three bells,
concerning one of which there is a local legend: - "Formerly there were no
bells at Boningale, but the inhabitants, hearing that three new ones were on
their way from Birmingham to Donington, intercepted one of them on its way
through the village and hung it in their own steeple, where it has remained ever since."
church was restored and the south aisle added in 1861 at a cost of £1,000.
Further improvements took place in 1890, when the nave was re-tiled and the
inside old carved roof repaired and re-backed with new oak panelling in 1891
the treble bell was recast and the three bells re-fixed. Finally, in 1894, a
new porch was added. In the vestry there is an old oak parish chest. There is a
Norman window in the nave and the remains of another on the north wall of the
the churchyard is a very old yew tree and a sun dial with the motto "Sine
Sole Sileo" (Without the sun I am dead)
Burial Register, still in use at the church, began in the year 1814. The curate
in charge at the time was the Rev. William Tindall, M.A. who was the Head
Master of Wolverhampton Grammar School. In the register Mr.
Tindall recorded the death of King George III on 29th January 1820
early 2015 after consultation with church members and the local community, the
church was extensively re- ordered to provide a more uniform and flexible space
for worship and our new mission of providing quiet days for spiritual
refreshment & reflection.
The latest re-ordering in
2015 included the following:
an oak block parquet floor in the nave
Renovating and cleaning the chancel tiles and laying new ones where necessary
Reducing the height of the pulpit
Re-positioning the font in front of the first north side window
Replacing the chairs and pews either side of the main aisle with oak moveable pews
Replacing the pews by the South Aisle with oak matching chairs
December 6th 2015 Bishop Mark led a wonderful service of
Thanksgiving and Re-Dedication attended by a packed congregation.
the enthusiasm, effort and team work of our church members and the
professionals we have worked with, we have achieved a restored church interior
which is sympathetic to its past history whilst at the same time providing
greater flexibility for future use. This has had a knock on effect and kindled
a renewed optimism for the future. A programme of Quiet Days has been drawn up with 4 being held in 2016
and another 4 planned for 2017. These have been very successful and well
attended with very positive feedback. With God’s help we are looking forward to building on this
and growing His church in Boningale.
Ministers of Boningale
The following names of officiating ministers occur in the registers: -
Thomas Littleford, Buried at Boningale, July 21st 1714
1742 - 1765 Richard Stanley, B.A. Pembroke College, Oxon. Buried at Boningale April 16th 1765 aged 54
1765 Thomas Cockayne
1767 - 1802 John J’Anson Bromwich, B.A., B.N.C. Oxon; Vicar at Patshull. Died 1803 aged 65
1803 - 1804 Richard Thursfield, M.A. Ch. Oxon; Vicar Patshull 1803
1804 - 1830 William Tindall, M.A. Uni. Coll, Oxon; Master of Wolverhampton Grammar School 1785 – 1830. Died May 8th 1830 aged 70 Buried at Boningale
1830 - 1833 James Lee M.A. St Peter’s Coll. Cambridge; resided at Tong; Vicar of Market Drayton 1833
1833 - 1851 Charles Blaney Cavendish Whitmore M.A. Rector of Stockton 1811 – 1855. Died Oct 30 1856 aged 69
1852 - 1853 Joseph Giffard B.A. Christ Coll. Cambridge; Vicar of Newport Barnstaple 1853
1853 - 1857 Francis Ossian Durant B.A. Worcester Coll. Oxon; resided at Shifnal. Died July 26th 1869 aged 65. Buried at Tong
1857 - 1911 Charles Powys Isaac M.A. Balliol Coll. Oxon. First Vicar of Boningale. Buried at Boningale.
1912 - 1929 J. E. Pyke
1929 - 1950 Alfred Speechly White. Buried at Boningale
1950 - 1970 John W. M. Finney, Vicar of Shifnal. (Rev. W.S. Jones, Curate)
1957 - 1969 Douglas Sands Williams Retd. Priest – in - charge
1970 - 1975 Vivian Clarke, Vicar of Shifnal
1975 - 1983 Walter John Turner B.A., F.R.S.A. Vicar of Shifnal
1983 - 1996 Charles William Woods Rector of Donington
1996 - 1997 Period of Interregnum
1997 - 2010 Roger Balkwill Vicar of Albrighton, Priest in charge of Boningale, then Vicar of United Benefice
2010 - 2014 Jill Warren, Vicar United Benefice Albrighton (St Mary’s Albrighton, St Cuthbert’s Donington & St Chad Boningale)
2015 ----- Mary Thomas (Nee Wade), Vicar United Benefice Albrighton